Tuesday 2 April 2013

Pigeons & Peacocks - indie fashion magazine inspiration

Because I am interested in fashion, photography and graphic design as well as music, I am always on the lookout for independent magazines that feature these topics. I managed to find a completely independent fashion magazine called 'Pigeons & Peacocks' which was actually published by London College of Fashion in collaboration with the students, staff, graduates and the fashion industry. It's only on it's 5th issue, and I bought it because of the completely unique look to it - it was unlike anything I'd ever seen before. 
Unlike most magazines, it has no cover lines at all, and challenges the conventions of most common magazines in general. The actual material it's made from is almost as thick as card, and the photography within it is very editorial. The gold masthead and tagline 'A Fashion Magazine for the Post Apocalyptic Blues' stand out from the block black background, and the image of the model Jade Thompson (winner of Britain's Next Top Model 2011) endorses the front cover. The image is very striking, and this is what drew me in to buy it. I want to use a striking image for this reason - to attract the audience and make them want to buy the magazine and read the articles inside. 
This double page spread was also something I looked at. I really liked the hot pink colour used in this article,  the images used and the unusual spacious layout. The colour scheme on this page reinforces the female audience and the images would definitely attract the photography lovers within the audience. Also, the topic of tumblr would be very appealing to a younger audience, which is one that I would be aiming for too. As with the pink on the Vogue front covers, I think I will definitely use a shade of pink within my house style to connote the female audience. Throughout the magazine, there are many interesting double page spreads and photo shoots that I looked at. 
The photography on these pages (the editing, positioning and the colours within the images) are all so eye catching, and the layout of the pages are also very appealing to an audience which would be interested in design. The indie style to this magazine is something that definitely attracts me, so within my own work, I also hope to produce something which I would buy myself. I will be taking into consideration all of the features of Pigeons & Peacocks, Vogue, and NME when creating my own magazine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment