Sunday 31 March 2013

Vogue - August issue analysis

I looked into last year's August issue for inspiration in closer detail.  
In this issue, the actress Emma Stone is the main focus, taking up the cover and the main double page spreads. Here, Alexa Chung (a famous style icon, model and journalist) has an interview with her - her style of writing is very descriptive which is a quality I really like. This is apparent in the pull quote 'Stone is the cool, quirky girl from school; the one you'd sit next to , hoping you'd become cooler via osmosis.' I like this interview, and due to the fact that 55% of the people I asked in my questionnaire said they'd prefer an interview to other articles such as a review, I will try to create something similar for the article of my on double page spread. Similar to NME, the image of Emma Stone takes up the whole of one of the pages of the spread, and this seems to be a reoccurring theme across many different type of magazine. As I mentioned before, the pink colouring on the cover of this issue is a detail that I find very appealing, as my audience is going to be mainly girls. 

As well as the Emma Stone double page spread, I also looked at the images that were taken for another article in the same issue with the model Lindsay Wixon. 
I loved these images, as they show the youth and feminine side of the model. This are connotations that I wish to convey through my on photographs, and so I want to use these as inspiration for my own. I love the use of props (they drink and the ice cream) and also the use of black and white. 
As you can see from this double page spread, similar to the Emma Stone pages, the image takes up a whole page, and the article takes up the other. I like the layout of the article here too - the 3 columns of text, drop cap, kicker and the title of the page come together to create a neat and professional looking double page spread.

No comments:

Post a Comment