Monday 18 March 2013

Title Evalutions

I have narrowed it down to 3 possible titles; Charged, Lisztomania and Reckless. 

Charged - There are several connotations of the word 'Charged', including it being suggestive of electricity - an electric charge, which could be suggestive of an electric guitar. Indie music is very reliant on electric guitars, as they are one of the key instruments used in the genre. Using this as a title would conjure up that image which would be effective as the title of an indie magazine.

Lisztomania - I originally came across this word when I first started listening to the indie band 'Phoenix' as it is a title of one of their songs. I didn't really know what it meant, but I was curious, so I looked it up and came across an article in which the term 'Lisztomania' was described, "Lisztomania or Liszt fever was the intense fan frenzy directed toward Franz Liszt during his performances. This frenzy first occurred in Berlin in 1841 and the term was later coined by Heinrich Heine in a feuilleton he wrote on April 25, 1844, discussing the 1844 Parisian concert season. Lisztomania was characterized by intense levels of hysteria demonstrated by fans." I thought that this name was quite unusual, but quite appropriate, as if the target audience is as intended, they would be familiar with this word if they listen to Phoenix (as it could be quite confusing for someone who listens to rap music for example). As well, the fact that this word basically means fan hysteria, I thought it would be good for people who are very interested in bands that would be featured in my magazine (my target audience). 

Reckless - I looked through all the music on my phone for inspiration of titles that may have came from bands names, album titles or song names, and I quite liked the sound of 'Reckless Serenade' by Arctic Monkeys. I thought that the two words together may have been a bit long for a magazine title, and just the word 'Serenade' may have sounded a bit too classical to be the title of an Indie music magazine, so the word 'Reckless' seemed more appropriate. I think this title would be good for the heavier side of indie rock, such as if my magazine focused more on bands like Arctic Monkeys or The Libertines, due to the fact that 'Reckless' has connotations of a more manic music fan (and their music is definitely heavier than that of bands like Foals or Two Door Cinema Club). This may mean that I'd have to solely concentrate on bands which produce heavier music if I used this title.  

No comments:

Post a Comment