Friday 22 March 2013

My School Magazine


This is my school magazine cover and contents page. I wanted to recreate something that looked more like a magazine, rather than  'newsletter', so after analysing the two newsletters from other schools, I decided to try not to include some of the features that I noticed which made the newsletters look unprofessional. 

I edited the photographs on Photoshop (as seen in my previous posts), and then put the two pages together in Word Publisher. On the cover, I used the Deyes badge and also a simple colour scheme of red, white and blue as these are the school colours, and they also contrasted well against my background image. I actually sampled the colours from the badge to use, as I couldn't get the right colour by eye. I used a serif font for the headline as that type of font has connotations of being more established and traditional (which was one of my ideologies for the newsletter) but I also used a simple serif font (Calibri) for the rest of the text, as it looked unusual with all sans serif font because this contrasted too much against the font used in the masthead (which is actually taken from the Deyes sign at the front of the school). 

For my contents page, I used the same sans serif and serif fonts that I had used on the cover (again, I only used the Sans serif font at the top as it looked too much to use it through out the whole page). From research into established magazines such as NME, I had noticed that on the contents page there were also a number of smaller images that related to other articles inside, so I inserted several images to accompany the one from the main article (from the cover). I added a small line of text to anchor these images, and page numbers. The page numbers only go up to 20, which would be very unusual for a normal magazine, however, this is a school magazine, and so, from looking at the newsletters I had analysed before, it is clear that a typical school newsletter would not include as many pages as a typical magazine. I added a slight shadow to the images on the contents page to make them contrast to the background. 

No comments:

Post a Comment