Monday 4 February 2013

Prelim task: Initial ideas

When producing my own newsletter, I need to take many things into consideration in order to successfully cater for my target audience. Previously, I looked at my own schools newsletter and analysed its use of colour, font, images etc. I concluded that it was not very good at hitting its target audience, and this is something that I need to improve upon when making my own.

First, I need to decide on who I want my target audience to be, and from this I can work on how formal I want it to be, what images/ fonts I should use and the colour scheme and content. I think it may be best to aim  a school newsletter at parents, as from my own experience I know that students are probably not going to want to read their own schools newsletter, as they probably are already aware of what goes on/ what is happening in their school in the near future (they will probably be more interested in the pictures of class mates featured in the articles rather than the articles themselves!).

Due to the fact that the newsletter will be for the parents, the colour scheme also needs to be mature, but it also needs to relate to the school/ badge colour theme - as I saw in the Deyes newsletter, their colour scheme was a bit too vibrant to be taken seriously by adults. I think a more toned down colour scheme should be used with darker colours, rather than primary colours (which are often used in things with a younger audience as they have connotations of younger children).

As well as the colour scheme, I think more professional looking images should be used rather than the clip arts that were used in the Deyes newsletter. Although the clip arts were immature and aimed at a younger audience, the photographs that were used for the article on dance were very professional looking, and I hope to include some images which look as professional as that in my own production. I will need to look around school for suitable photographs that I could take to male this as professional as possible, and some images will be necessary for it to look like a proper school newsletter, for example a photograph of the outside of the school, a photograph of some students taking part in some school activity etc.

The fonts I use should also be professional - no comic sans as it is too unprofessional/ informal and no new times roman as it may be too formal. A font which is formal, but readable should be used, which will promote the schools professionalism.

No comments:

Post a Comment