Thursday 14 February 2013

Ideologies - the Preliminary task

In media, ideologies are sets of beliefs that are presented within a piece of media. When making my school newsletter, I will need to consider what things I want to represent through my use of images, text, font and even things such as colour schemes. I started to think about what ideologies I wanted to present, and how I could achieve this through the newsletter.

One of the main ideologies that I wanted to convey, was that Deyes is a traditional school, with traditional values, and to do this, I have decided that I should use images of parts of the school that look traditional, such as the red brick, ivy covered Lydiate building at the front of the school. Not only is it traditional looking, but it also the main building at the front of the school, and it is the first building that visitors see when coming into the school. It is the image that people already associate with Deyes, and it is recognisable, as well as being obviously traditional. Also, by using a mature colour scheme and fonts, this will show that Deyes is a professional establishment, who wants to be traditional.

Another ideology that I wanted to present was that Deyes High cares about its pupils, and wants to make sure that the students have the best school experience that they can have. To do this, I will use images of happy looking pupils, who look like they are enjoying their time in school, and I will focus the newsletter mainly on the students, and their achievements. This will show that Deyes wants to make their success the focus of their publications.

An ideology that is usually represented in many newsletters is that the teachers within the school strive to go 'above and beyond' to do all they can for their students. To do this in my newsletter, I may include an image of a teacher helping a pupil. Another main feature/ ideology of the school, is that academically, Deyes High School has recently had some of the best exam results so far, and that students who go to Deyes will achieve well throughout thier school life.

No comments:

Post a Comment